Eggplant Napoleon with Spicy Ratatouille
Featuring both Savvy Goose Habanero Hot Lips seasoning and our Everything Topper, it’s a dish you can serve as both an entree or side dish. In addition, the ratatouille part of this recipe can separately be served hot, or cold.
To learn more about ratatouille, read our recent blog here.
3 to 4 medium eggplant, 4” diameter, you’ll need 12 disks, 1/2″ thick
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons, Savvy Goose Habanero Hot Lips Seasoning
2 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups, milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup Savvy Goose Everything Topping
2 cups canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove, garlic, chopped
1 medium white onion, diced ½”
2 cups, eggplant, diced ½”
1 red bell pepper, diced ½”
2 zucchini, diced ½”
2 yellow squash, diced ½”
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
¼ cup, fresh basil, chopped
¼ tsp, oregano
1 tsp, Savvy Goose Habanero Hot Lips seasoning
1 cup, Marinara sauce or pasta sauce of choice
To taste, salt and pepper
2 cups, shredded cheese of choice (mozzarella or equivalent)
2 cups, Marinara or pasta sauce of choice (for serving)
To Garnish: fresh basil leaves, Roma tomato
Send us your recipes
for consideration and a chance to win one of our monthly Best Recipe prizes: a free shaker of your choice!Submit Recipe
Begin by making the vegetable “ratatouille” filling
- Dice the remaining eggplant not needed for your disks to make about 2 cups
- In a medium size skillet or sauce pot, add the oil and, on medium high heat, sear the eggplant to brown, then add the garlic and onion and sauté until softened.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and cook until all the vegetable are softened.
- Add the basil, oregano, Habanero Hot Lips seasoning, Marinara sauce, and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the eggplant slices and to finish.
- Using 3 separate mixing bowls, combine the flour and Savvy Goose Habanero Hot Lips seasoning together in the first, beat together the eggs and milk in the second and combine together the Savvy Goose Everything Topping the panko bread crumbs in the third.
- Heat the 2 cups of vegetable oil in a medium size fry-pan on medium high heat. Also, pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Bread the eggplant by first dredging each disk in the seasoned flour, then dipping in the egg/milk mixture and finally coating on all sides with the panko/Everything Topping mixture.
- Once all eggplant pieces are breaded, fry them on both sides until golden brown and set aside on absorbent paper towels.
- Visually divide the finished vegetable ratatouille into 8 portions.
- Stack your Napoleon portions by beginning with a disk of the fried eggplant, a 1/8th portion of the ratatouille mixture, (about a half cup, another disk of eggplant, a second portion of the ratatouille mixture and finally capping with an eggplant sliced.
- Repeat for all 4 portions and top each finished portion with a half cup of your shredded cheese.
- Spray a baking sheet with a non-stick vegetable spray or alternately, use a non-stick silicone baking mat to place all 4 finished portions on, then bake them approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- To serve, place each portion on a pool of heated Marinara or pasta sauce of choice and garnish with fresh basil and a slice of Roma tomato.
NOTE: This meatless entrée can be made in either a vegetarian or vegan way by simply swapping out the cheeses for the appropriate ones and pan-frying the eggplant in olive oil after dredging in a mixture of flour and Habanero Hot Lips seasoning.