Everything Topper Bagels
These everything bagels will make a great addition to any brunch you may be hosting or attending.
- 1 & ½ cups of warm water
- 2 & ¾ teaspoons of quick-rise yeast (i.e. Red Star Quick-rise)
- 4 cups of bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Non-stick spray for coating of bowl
- 2 quarts of water for water bath
- ¼ cup of honey
- 3-4 eggs for an egg wash.
- Savvy Goose Everything Topper
Prep Time: Approximately 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Send us your recipes
for consideration and a chance to win one of our monthly Best Recipe prizes: a free shaker of your choice!Submit Recipe
- Preparing the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast in the bowl of your stand mixer. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour, brown sugar, and salt and beat (using the dough hook of your stand mixer) on low speed for two minutes.
- Remove the dough from the stand mixer bowl (it should be a bit stiff now), and on a lightly floured surface with lightly floured hands, knead the dough for a few minutes. The dough will be too heavy to knead in your mixer.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough into the bowl, turning to coat both sides in the oil.
- Cover the bowl with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shaping the dough: Once the dough is ready, remove from the bowl and press down on the dough to release any air bubbles. Next, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces (just eyeball it!), and shape each piece into a ball. Press your index finger through the center of the ball to make a small hole.
- Water bath: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and fill a large pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the honey, bring water to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-high. Drop bagels in 3-4 at a time making sure there is enough room for the bagels to float around. Boil the bagels for 1 minute on each side.
- Whisk together eggs and add a small amount of water. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the top and sides of the bagel. Dip each bagel into the Savvy Goose Everything Topper and arrange them on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, and rotate the baking sheets halfway through. Cook bagels until they are a golden brown, and then allow them to cool on baking sheets for 20 minutes before handling or slicing.
Savvy note: Dip the bottom of each bagel into cornmeal. This will guarantee that the bagels do not stick to the parchment paper while cooking. You can also allow the dough